Those who are avid consumers of TikTok like me have probably heard of the latte girl makeup trend (created by Rachel Rigler). This is a direct evolution of what once was known as the “vanilla girl” makeup look. While this had previously been focused on a fresh face with an emphasis on creams and vanilla tones, the latte girl makeup trend is a more bronzy alternative. Like the name suggests, think of your morning cup of coffee. As you pour the creamer in, you’re left with a beautiful shade of caramel brown. Now translate these warm colorations into your makeup and you have achieved the latte girl aesthetic. Recently, I took to TikTok to share exactly how I recreated this coveted trend and I wanted to break it down step-by-step for you here. So for my melanin-rich guys and gals, here’s how to effortlessly achieve the viral latte girl makeup look.
How to Achieve the Viral Latte Girl Makeup Look
@kayebassey Latte girl makeup trend 🍯☕️☀️🥥🧸🤎 Calling all my melanin bronzy girlies ❤️🔥 trend inspired by @Rachel Rigler #lattemakeup #summermakeup #makeuptrends #lattemakeupblackgirl #blackgirlmakeup #sunkissedmakeup ♬ European style accordion waltz – shulk
As always, the proper skin prep is essential. I wanted to create a smooth, hydrating base before applying any sort of makeup product to my face. Skincare is not only essential, but truly a way of life, so be sure to layer the products that work best for you.
- Sephora plumping gloss for perfectly plump lips
- Sulwhasoo Ginseng Renewing Serum
- Mix the Chanel Hydra Cream with the Supergoop Glow Screen to achieve a healthy glow from within
- Finish off your prep with the ELF poreless primer putty
One of the key components of the latte girl makeup trend is the lack of blush. Instead of a pinky glow, you really focus on the contour to add to the rich, bronzy tones.
- Underpaint with the Rare Beauty Contour Stick & blend out with a brush
- Over top, apply the Saie Serum Foundation (I am shade 27)
- Add a little more contour with Danessa Myricks Balm Contour (shade deep 1)
- Conceal under the eyes with Kevyn Aucoin Skin Enhancer + Beautyblender
- Set concealer with the Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder
- Use the La Mer brush and the YSL All Hours Powder to set everywhere except the highest points of your face
- Add a few faux-freckles with a Revlon Brow Pencil
- Set everything with the Urban Decay All Night Setting Spray
@kayebassey Replying to @Kayebassey Latte girl makeup trend 🍯☕️☀️🥥🧸🤎 Calling all my melanin bronzy girlies ❤️🔥 trend inspired by @Rachel Rigler 🤍 #lattemakeup #summermakeup #makeuptrends #lattemakeupblackgirl #blackgirlmakeup #sunkissedmakeup ♬ European style accordion waltz – shulk
This trend is all about the eyes. Use a myriad of brown-based eyeshadows to achieve a perfectly warm latte colored eye.
- Create a fluffy brow with the Anastasia Brow Pen
- Clean up the surrounding area with Valentino Hydrating Concealer
- Use the same Danessa Myricks product from above and apply the crease of your eye
- Over the entire lid, use the Charlotte Tilbury eyeshadow in Bella Sofia. Also apply to the lower lash line
- Use ‘Buck’ from the classic Urban Decay Naked Palette (now discontinued) or ‘Frisk’ from the Naked2 Palette and apply all over the lid
- Apply ‘Dark Horse’ from the classic Urban Decay Naked Palette (now discontinued) or ‘Primal’ from the Naked2 Palette in the crease. Also, apply to the lower lash line
- For a shimmery pop, add Urban Decay’s ‘Space Cowboy’ on top
- Add a pop of highlighter to the inner corner of the eye
- Line the top and bottom waterlines with the Sephora eyeliner
- Curl your lashes and apply Essence Mascara
- Line you eyes with Urban Decay eyeliner
Don’t forget the lips! I slightly overline my natural outline to achieve a fuller-looking pout.
- Slight overline your lips with a combination of Charlotte Tilbury and Wet n Wild
- Apply YSL Candy Glaze (Shade 15) all over
Complete the latte girl makeup with some glow! These highlighter products are some of my go-to (especially during the summer).
- Add a touch of Rare Beauty Liquid Illuminizer on the cheekbones
- Followed by Chanel Illuminating Oil to the décolleté
- Spritz Mancera Back to Black fragrance for the ultimate luxe aesthetic